Monday, August 2, 2010

Beginnings of a New Blog / Strongest Card!

Today marks the start of my new brainchild.

This newfound interest technically started summer of '09 when I rediscovered the game of Yugioh. I was a fanatic back in fourth grade, collecting the cards and playing against fellow students. However, it hasn't been until recently (6-7 weeks ago) that I have started to try playing the game competitively.

And this is where this blog will begin.

Starting today, I will make notes on strategies and techniques that I have learned as I try to improve my game. I test new decks for fun every once in a while, but I found a deck type that I enjoy playing competitively the most: Gladiator Beasts. It is my first and only meta deck that I have used, and it will be the only one I ever use for several reasons. The deck is cheap. The deck is hard to play. The deck's engine allows me to pull out basically any monster I need from the deck. All in all, the deck is a great way for me to learn the mechanics of the game.

This first post will be about a card that I have learned to be the best card in a Gladiator Beast deck. It's not War Chariot (although it's up there). It's not Heraklinos. It's not Gyzarus. It's not even a Gladiator Beast card.

It is Book of Moon.

From a non-player's perspective, this card does little to make it shine. Its one-liner simply reads "Flip 1 face-up monster into face-down defense position." It does nothing to hinder an opponent's "physical" advantage, meaning that your opponent does not lose cards due to this card's effect. Simply put, this card is what players call a -1. But, of course, Book of Moon is quite arguably the best -1 in the game.

Why is this? It is because Book of Moon is so versatile (probably an understatement). Against any deck, Book of Moon effectively stops an opponent's monster from attacking for one turn, allowing you to attack over it with a Glad next turn and gain advantage through tagging. Book of Moon also prevents cards like Kalut and Honest from being able to defeat your Glad in battle by flipping the Blackwing or LIGHT monster face-down. Using Book on a tuner prevents the opponent from performing a Synchro Summon. Book on a Stardust Dragon allows for a pumped Laquari to run over it, for a Gyzarus to destroy it, or better yet, for a Secutor to attack into it to bring out Murmillo and Equeste. The strength of Book of Moon comes from its face-down factor. Turning a monster face-down effectively eliminates it for a turn, since a face-down card has no identity on the field. This can help in several match ups. For example, Book of Moon on the X-Saber that Boggart Knight Special Summons prohibits the opponent from bringing out the dreaded Faultroll. Turning a Blackwing monster face-down prevents the opponent from searching with Black Whirlwind. Book of Moon is not the only amazing card in a Gladiator Beast deck, but it surely stands out with its ability to control. Book doesn't necessarily wins games; it dictates games.

This is only my first post. I'll be sure to talk about weekend matches, Side Deck decisions, other match ups, and anything else that I might have forgotten. Until next time.

P.S. I really like my blog title.

No comments:

Post a Comment